7lb in 7 Days - A Detox Diary

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Midsummer's Day. It's warming up to be a scorcher in New York today and I've had to resort to switching on the AC..

Even with only two apples I can make 1.5 pints of Super Juice. It seems like a lot of volume and it's taking me 1/2 hour just to drink it. The pineapple perfectly disguises the grassy taste of the 'powders' and the overall taste is quite refreshing. I could drink a lot of this...

Royal Gala apples seem to juice up nicely and the ripe pineapple I have seem to love being chucked down the chute!

I need to add some info about the juicer I purchased. It's the Breville JE900 Professional Juice Extractor (I can't find it on the Breville USA site, but I purchased it on Amazon.com). It jumped out at me on the Amazon website because of it's sturdy-looking construction, tough motor and the many reviews I read about how simple to clean it was. Most of all, I was pretty price-conscious. $99 was what I paid and I think I got a good deal. This thing is seriously powerful and has made light work of the ingredients so far (remember, only day 2 here!).. The shute is not quite large enough for my Royal Gala apples, but there's a big label on the side of it that says 'Juice Whole Apples'! It's fair to say that my apples are quite large (fnur fnur) and that the blade/motor would have no problem sucking in a 'normal' sized one, whole.

So far (one day in!), I'm following Jason's instructions clearly about 'process'. I fill the sink with warm water and prepare and chop all my food, then rinse everything off after I'm done. It works really well. I don't have any bags though so the pulp is going straight into the bin. Already there's a nice pong when I open it up, so I think I'm going to adopt the bag method. Has anyone come up with ingenious uses for that stuff. Add a comment and let me know. Is there any nutrients left in it? Shall I feed some to next-door's dog?

6 Comments:

  • Hey Ed,
    Just wanted to say good luck for your detox. I'm from London and am very bored at work, so was randomly looking through some blogs and came across yours. All the best for the detox- and don't worry, you don't look that bad... cetainly not a whale!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:11 AM  

  • Thanks anonymous!

    By Blogger Ed, at 12:30 PM  

  • Use the pulp . Don't waste it it helps with compost, it's all good stuff to help future veggies.

    The colourrs look good on the old home composter.

    By Blogger Wild Mood Swings, at 1:46 PM  

  • Hmmm compost.. that's certainly one way.. but I live in a 5th floor apartment in Manhattan. Not that much call for compost here.. :( Any other suggestions?

    By Blogger Ed, at 2:05 PM  

  • Actually, I've heard you may be able to use it as a face pack... if you really feel inclined to ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:46 AM  

  • You could use the pulp for cooking. Vege pulp makes good stock for soups and fruit pulp can be used for muffins.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home